Best & Worst Experiences

The Best & The Worst

Thinking back on life, there are always the best, the worst and the most embarrassing experiences we always remember. We all go through experiences that teach us lessons to guide us into future experiences. We have no choice in life to experience different events that happen throughout our lifetime. But, it is up to us to either laugh about it, cry about it, or learn from it, or do all three.

One of my best experiences I remember was winning 2nd place at the National Championship College Cheerleading Competition in Disney. I remember anxiously holding hands with my teammates, while bowing our heads and hoping for our name to be called. This was just our second year ever competing in the national competition. We were a program that was being built on little experience but great determination. The overwhelming feeling of joy from our hard work paying off is a feeling I could never forget. 

    Another feeling that I could never forget was the sudden passing of my grandmother. As we all know Covid-19 has affected many peoples lives in a negative way. Unfortunately, my grandmother passed away due to the virus. The thought of not one family member being by her side in the hospital breaks my heart. My family and I were thankful to have a nurse that allowed us to video chat with my grandmother on their personal phone. I am not going to go into great detail of the experience but I will say it was one of the hardest, worst experiences I have had in my life thus far.

Grammar Point

Adverbs are commonly used to describe a verb often used to show degree, manner, place, or time. Many times when telling a story or reading a story adverbs are used to describe the way the character feels during an event or action. For example in the story above it says " I remember anxiously holding hands with my teammates,..." this sentence is describing how I (the noun) felt in that moment. 

How to identify adverbs:

Adverbs typically have the ending -ly, such as, sadly, quickly, usually.

(Refresher: verb-A word used to describe an action, state or occurrence.)

Vocabulary

Thankful(adjective): expressing gratitude

Negative(adjective): a bad, unpleasant

Anxiously(adjective): revealing anxiety

Embarrassing(adjective): causing embarrassment

Future (noun): the time or a period of time following the moment of speaking or writing

Determination(noun): the process of establishing something exactly by calculation or research

Overwhelming(adjective): very great in amount

Teammates(noun): a fellow member of a team

Activity- Share a time when you felt embarrassed and/or possibly overwhelmed during a life experience. Make sure to use at least 2 vocabulary words from above.

For more information on adverbs please look at this link: Adverbs!

Comments

  1. I like the way you turned your essay into an instructional text. The activity would be very helpful for students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quarantine Lessons

Happy to Sad but Always Grateful