Quarantine Lessons

 Quarantine Lessons

Muttontown Preserve
2020 has been the year of many negative and positive events. During quarantine people played trial and error with many new hobbies. Such as, yoga, bike riding, cooking, cleaning, becoming pet owners, online shopping and so much more. For me personally I found my love for outdoor activities, like hiking, bike riding and my favorite, yoga and meditation practice. With all of the stress 2020 has brought to my family and I, I found that being outdoors made me feel full inside. I began to go hiking with my sister around Long Island to preserves and parks that we never knew existed. There are so many beautiful hidden gems right here on the island.

Meditation practices are a very relaxing practice for soothing your mind and body. I believe it is so important to be in touch with your mind and body to understand your yourself from within. For myself, meditation takes me to a place of relaxation and becomes an escape from reality.  Since I am now working again, thankfully, I focus more on meditation in the morning before work and in the evening before bed. Sometimes if I am having an off day, mid-day I follow a guided meditation that focuses on breathing, to reset my mind. I would recommend this practice to anyone that feels anxious, depressed or overwhelmed. At first it may feel a little weir to focus on your breathing but trust me, its nice to let your mind feel empty sometimes.

Grammar Point

Verbs ending in -ing  
First watch this video on different action verbs. Action verb examples

When we change the end of a verb to -ing, that verb now turns into present tense. Present tense means that it is happening now. We use the -ing ending a lot with verbs such as walking, talking, running, laughing and more.

Activity- In the story about being quarantined there are many verbs that end with -ing. Find 6 verbs that end in -ing and use them in your own sentence.

Vocabulary Words

Match each vocabulary word with the definition. Look back in the story to help identify the word.

Quarantine                                                          A) to advise or suggest

Meditate                                                               B) having a gently calming effect

Hiking                                                                  C) think deeply or focus for a period of time in silence

Preserves                                                              D) the words or state of things as they actually happen

Soothing                                                               E) activity of going on long walks, especially in the                                                                                       woods

Reality                                                                  F) protected land to reserve nature such as trees,                                                                                              
                                                                                  flowers and wildlife

Recommend                                                         G) state, a period or place of isolation

Watch this video on the rules when changing a verbs ending in -ing

 -ing Ending Rules


Comments

  1. A very interesting blog entry! I really like how you have found something positive to do during the pandemic, and it sounds like these habits of meditation and hiking in nature will stay with you for life.
    I like the action verb video and your activities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Onyx

Best & Worst Experiences